Wednesday 13 July 2011

My definition of Filthstep

So you might have been hearing about a style of music - or genre, if you will - called dubstep. Now, for many, this term is equally general to say "rock". So, I'm gonna give a few examples of a sub-genre I started calling "filthstep" about a year ago, when I first heard Freestylers - Cracks (Flux Pavilion remix):

Now, given, this is at the lighter end of the scale of what I call filthstep. Better examples would be Borgore, Noisia, Skrillex, Phear Phace, Dodge & Fuski. Here's two examples of properly filthy music:


So, in my opinion, the sub-genre characterized by heavy basslines, lots of fuzz and distorted sounds, should be called filthstep. Now, granted, there might be several people actually using other names for it - I'm just proposing a suggestion here.

Why? Well, allthough I agree that good music is good music, and doesn't really need a label or genre, I also believe it can be useful to have distinctions between certain "sounds" or "styles", when you're trying to get new impressions and tips similar to some track that you like. For example, a track by Joker called "The Vision (Jessie Ware version), is one of my absolute favourites these days. But it hardly fits the general dubstep label, nor the filthstep label. Some call it "chillstep". That might be a good term? Check it out yourself:

TLDR; I propose we introduce the term filthstep!

No comments:

Post a Comment