Monday 27 July 2009

How to tell time

Today I found out how to keep track of how old you are. As in, not how many years has passed since you came to be, but in the "oh, that band was popular when I was young" kinda way.

I was watching some random sports show that summarized the previous year in sports. And then it hit me. You can tell time by how sports stars shine and then fade. Like, there was a time when Mario Lemieux was the greatest hockey player ever. Now you can see him in the VIP lounge in Civic Arena at home games. And you can tell he's getting old.

I can still remember Björn Borg on the telly. He's old now. The first footballer I remember looking up to, was Bruce Grobbelaar, for some odd reason. Gary Lineker, Peter Schmeichel, Cantona, Shearer etc. Faded names (compared to active footballers). I mean, most people even think of David Beckham as a fading star.

So the next time you're thinking "I wonder how long it's been since ...", just think of sports starts. Who was popular at that time? Then you'll know. "I wonder how long it's been since Spice Girls released "Wannabe"". Well, it was back when Hierro was at his best for Real Madrid, so must've been about 1996 or thereabouts. See?

No comments:

Post a Comment